The Fight Against Impunity in EU Law
The fight against impunity is an increasingly central concept in EU law-making and adjudication. What is the meaning and the scope of impunity as a legal concept in the EU legal order? How does the fight against impunity influence policy and adjudication?
This timely first piece of comprehensive research aims to address these largely unexplored questions, which involve structural institutional and substantive dilemmas underpinning the most recent developments of the European integration process. In recent years, the fight against impunity has become a pressing concern for the European institutions. It has shaped several EU policies and has led to a recurring argument in the case law of the Court of Justice.
The book sheds light on this elusive notion, providing a much needed conceptual appraisal. The first section examines the scope of the notion of impunity, and its role in the EU decision-making process and in the development of EU competences. Subsequent sections discuss the implications of impunity - and of the fight against it - in a variety of complementary domains, namely the allocation of criminal jurisdiction, mutual recognition instruments, the rise of new surveillance technologies and the external dimension of the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice.
This book is an original and timely contribution to scholarship, which is of interest to academics, researchers and policy-makers alike.
Over Stefano Montaldo
Andere boeken door Stefano Montaldo
Luisa Marin and Stefano Montaldo
IMPUNITY IN EU LAW: A CONCEPTUAL APPRAISAL
2. Conceptualising Impunity in the Law of the European Union
3. Fundamental Rights-Oriented Repression in the EU? Exploring the Potential and Limits of an Impunity Rationale to Justify Criminalisation in the EU Legal Order
4. The Role of the Fight against Impunity in EU Criminal Policy Preparation and Evaluation
Wouter van Ballegooij
THE FIGHT AGAINST IMPUNITY AND THE ALLOCATION OF CRIMINAL JURISDICTION IN THE EU
5. EU Substantive Criminal Law and Jurisdiction Clauses: Claiming Jurisdiction to Fight Impunity?
6. Between Impunity and the Protection of Fundamental Rights: The Case Law of the CJEU and the ECtHR on the ne bis in idem Principle
Bas van Bockel
7. Impunity and Conflicts of Jurisdiction within the EU: The Role of Eurojust and Challenges for Fundamental Rights
8. The Fight against Impunity between EU and National Legal Orders: What Role for the EPPO?
Costanza Di Francesco Maesa
THE FIGHT AGAINST IMPUNITY AND THE EU INSTRUMENTS IMPLEMENTING THE PRINCIPLE
OF MUTUAL RECOGNITION IN CRIMINAL MATTERS
9. The European Supervision Order: The Need for a New Culture of Combating Impunity
10. Information Sharing as a Tool in the Fight against Impunity in the European Union
11. Clash of the Titans: The Fight against Impunity versus Social Rehabilitation and the Protection of Fundamental Rights within the Framework of Prisoner Transfers in the EU
IMPUNITY AND NEW SURVEILLANCE TECHNOLOGIES UNDER EU LAW
12. Stepping Up the Fight against Impunity in EU Law: Access to Immigration Databases by National Law Enforcement Authorities and Europol
13. Enhancing Policing through Algorithmic Surveillance
14. Fighting Impunity with New Tools: How Big Data, Algorithms, Machine Learning and AI Shape the New Era of Criminal Justice
Mojca M Plesnicar, Aleš Završnik and Pika Šarf
THE FIGHT AGAINST IMPUNITY AND THE EXTERNAL DIMENSION OF THE AFSJ
15. International Fight against Impunity and EU Counter-Terrorism Law: The Case of Foreign Terrorist Fighters 9
Ermioni Xanthopoulou and Theodore Konstadinides
16. Impunity and EU or Member States' Extradition Agreements
with Third Countries
17. Commercial Data Transfers and Liaison Officers: What Data Protection Rules Apply in the Fight against Impunity When Third Countries Are Involved?
Christina Eckes and Dominique Barnhoorn
18. The Court of Justice of the European Union and the International Criminal Court: The Fight against Impunity between Complementarity and Mandatory Requirements
Mensen die dit boek kochten, kochten ook...
- Aansprakelijkheids- en verzekeringsrecht
- Algemeen juridisch
- Bank- en effectenrecht
- Burgerlijk recht en procesrecht
- Europees-internationaal recht
- Fiscaal recht
- Intellectuele eigendom en ict-recht
- Mens en maatschappij
- Milieu- en omgevingsrecht
- Notarieel recht
- Personen- en familierecht
- Sociale zekerheidsrecht
- Strafrecht en criminologie
- Vastgoed- en huurrecht